Saturday, October 24, 2009

Goals and Winning!

"The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, learn about them, or even seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them."
Denis Waitley

You might have picked up on my preoccupation with goals in older blogs. I believe they are essential to achievements. As a personal trainer I use the good ol' January 1st date to ask my clients to think about a fitness goal for the year. This can be as simple as walking 30 minutes three times a week to competing in a triathalon. I am guilty of embracing the 'baby step' theory to achieve these goals. I suspect that is because it works best for me.

I had a client who wanted to lose 30 lbs for her son's Bar Mitzvah in six months. Let's break it down - that is 1.15 lbs a week; which means 4025 calorie deficit a week (3500 calories = 1 lb) which is 575 a day; cut out 250 calories a day - (you can easily see that being two slices of bread, two cookies, a second serving) and add 325 calories expenditure in exercise - 30 to 45 minutes a day, wearing a heart rate monitor which could even be broken down to 3 fifteen minute session. Possible, I think so, to look great at her son's Bar Mitzvah priceless (I just had to say that)!

In that still moment (we spoke about in the latest blogs) visualize what you want to achieve, how it will feel, how it looks, when it will be, who will be there - every aspect you desire. Be specific! Your thoughts should be as clear as you want the results! You can write them down on your vision board, then plan the steps to achieve this. Set yourself up for success - small markers to pat yourself on the back! Good Job!

It will happen - you will succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment