Saturday, January 23, 2010

How much exercise is enough?

I just read an article regarding this question, of course it is all relative to what you want to accomplish and what your present state of fitness is.

"The answer, according to a study published in this month’s British Journal of Sports Medicine: a mere 20 minutes a week of any physical activity, whether sports, walking, gardening or even housecleaning, the last not usually associated with bringing out the sunshine. The researchers found that more activity conferred more mental-health benefits and that “participation in vigorous sports activities” tended to be the “most beneficial for mental health.” But their overall conclusion was that being active for as little as 20 minutes a week is sufficient, if your specific goal is mental health."

Well now, although 20 minutes is not much for the most of us - if you have been sedentary for any reason - knowing that 20 minutes should boost your mental health is promising. For the majority of us I would say - let us increase our exercise time by 20 minutes a week. Short bursts, one session - however you choose but just add that 20 minutes more in to your schedule. You have all read, park your car far away from the store/work; take the steps; walk around the block; walk your dog.....so many easy ways to incorporate another 20 minutes into your week. I believe that it has been said that if you perform a new activity for 21 days - it becomes a habit - well if I say "20 minutes" 21 times - will you do it?

I suppose I am looking for company as I am adding in more cardio to my week. I have a new Heart Rate monitor that is driving me crazy because according to it - it is never enough (it wants me to exercise for 3:55:00 this week). In addition, I have registered for the Hudson River Bike Tour/Ride in July - planning on 66 miles and then a 100 mile ride in August; and I am trying to regain my appreciation for running. Operative word - TRYING to regain. Join me, please!

You remember - misery loves company - lets put a spin on it - success loves company too!

"Success is a journey, not a destination." Ben Sweetland

PS - for anyone who is not up to the challenge - my mother, 93 years old has a pedometer and walked 2000 steps yesterday. Granted we dangle Ben and Jerry's as her reward - but she has increased her number exponentially - and her goal is 5000.

No comments:

Post a Comment