Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekend Report - hiking, biking, rock climbing, beach walking and stone skipping

Shelter Island, NY....

Skipped my first stones - maybe, maybe got a 4 skip - but from zero (I have tried this on many occasions) to four is fabulous
-  until you see the record of 51

NOTE TO SELF:  REMINDER : it's in the  journey...........and for me in the competition (self) next time should be 5 :)

and biking....from my fall last year when the pedal kissed my calf muscle -- I have the fear, heart wrenching FEAR of speed.  So the hills of Shelter Island ate up my brakes - for fear of speed. I didn't even mind seeing a hill up close and personal - UP close... but is there anything like having three fawn/doe cross the road ahead of you - beautiful!!!!

do you see where this is going????

well, you are wrong!  We had the most glorious hike at the Mashomack Preserve - did the 6 mile instead of the full  11 because we had a late start.  Absolutely beautiful!  Going back for it all - mark my word, as well as the trail was marked.

Now that leaves rock climbing....ok, now you can go back - this is so not a success story - BUT - it does leave me with the desire to do it again and excel at it.  Of course, I volunteered to be climber no. 2  of 14... mistake,  it took 3 tries to get the power to lift off and move on.   After sitting back and observing, I would have attacked differently - and in the end the group leader advised differently.  In any event - it was fun and I so love to feel that I want to go back and do this again.

I suspect that Newsday is following me....the day we saw the fox in the woods there was a photo of a fox in the paper; shortly after our seal sighting at Hecksher - there was a Newsday photo of a seal; as I returned from this trip - I notice Newsday did a full article on Shelter Island....

I get it - it is only an article away before they write about Strength for Life- perhaps the next Wellness Weekend - June 4 - 5 - keep your eye out - because we got the news before it happens.



It isn't what you have,
or who you are,
or where you are,
or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy.
It is what you think about.
~Dale Carnegie

No comments:

Post a Comment