Monday, October 25, 2010

Illness as an opportunity...........

I feel compelled to pass on some valuable information - even if I do not have much time to offer a personal blog.

As a hospice volunteer and volunteer coordinator - I recall many cancer patients saying that 'having cancer changed their life - for the good'; and 'cancer put things into perspective', and I do know of many instances in my life where I had to rethink that 'in the big scheme of things - this is not the end all'.

"Dr. Bonnie Vestal focuses on three principles with her patients:
First, be present.    Second, find a sense of purpose.   Third, have an awareness of your sense of place in the scheme of things.
These are no small tasks in the face of stress and trauma, but Dr. Vestal insists that when life is on the line, it’s important to stop and consider these issues. “This is a whole-life job,” she explains. “It’s not just about cancer or illness; this is about your life.”

The full article can be found at: http://awomanshealth.com/illness-as-opportunity/

"The truth is, if you asked me to choose between winning the Tour de France and cancer, I would choose cancer. Odd as it sounds, I would rather have the title of cancer survivor than winner of the Tour, because of what it has done for me as a human being, a man, a husband, a son, and a father."        
                    ~Lance Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment