Monday, August 23, 2010

Over 30? Here's some things to remember (if you can!!!)

This information is shared from an IFCN email I received while I sit here waiting for my car to be repaired. As I write this I remember a great friend Alex Lubarsky saying how we will pay for our car repairs and question spending money on our own health/wellness.  How appropriate for me - as they told me the total cost is climbing from $338  to $1625 with an additional $995 for timing belts soon to come - OMG.  Having a 6 year old car relates to my aging - ten years ago I spent a small percentage in health care and maintenance than I am spending now. And, although not perfect I have adopted many of the healthier habits - thank the Lord! Having said that would I spend $1625.....unless I was told it was necessary...probably not - shame on me!

 I trust that you know all of these - but a small reminder can't hurt!
"About the time we hit 30, our brains begin a slow, steady downward progression. This was once thought to be normal and accepted. However, this decline “is by no means an inescapable side effect of aging”. Based on new reports, we can counteract age related changes in the brain by partaking in a series of activities that will fortify mental muscle power. Here are seven ways to do just that:
Google often: Search the internet. This initiates key components in the brain that control decision making and reasoning.

Exercise: This activity can actually delay dementia and possibly reverse brain aging!

Brush & Floss: Oral care is directly linked to brain health. Gingivitis and periodontal disease are directly related to diminished cognitive brain function as you age.

Drink Sparingly: Cocktails can be beneficial for the brain but only in moderation. Excessive drinking can have the opposite effect by diminishing total brain volume.

Eat Blueberries: Research has shown that purple-hued fruits can sharpen your brain power. Anthocyanin—the dark blue pigment found in blueberries is responsible for these cognitive improvements. “It contains chemicals that may cross the blood-brain barrier and lodge in regions that govern learning and memory.”

Do Puzzles: This activity can knock a decade off your cognitive age. Take out a book of basic puzzles and start your way to younger brain power!

Meditate: More than just a great stress reliever, meditation can also enhance your brain’s gray matter. Meditation helps promote growth in the cortex - an area of the brain that controls memory, language, and sensory processing.


Never neglect an opportunity for improvement.   ~ Sir William Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment