Friday, August 13, 2010

Dan Robinson...running for his Dad!!!! Inspirational........

"I am currently on a solo run of 1002 miles in a calendar month. The distance is of course based on the date of Lance’s diagnosis, and is in memory of my Dad who died of Cancer of the esophagus five years ago in September.
To complete the event I will need to cover an average of over 32 miles per day and as I type this I am 12 days into the challenge and have covered 401 miles. Up until late yesterday things were going really well. Of course running more than a marathon a day is hard physically but I felt strong and was ahead of my average. Coincidentally the invitation to write this blog came just as I have sustained a bad injury to my left quadricep. I had to abandon my run this morning and have spent the day frantically having treatment. I think that those who know me would say that I do not quit easily and I have an enormous feeling of guilt as I sit here for the first time having missed my daily mileage target. I have tried to be responsible and do what I can to give my leg a chance to recover. Ultimately though it is probably like trying to crack a sledgehammer with a nut. I am likely faced with another 600 miles more or less on one leg.

It hasn’t taken me long though to stop feeling sorry for myself. I logged onto the LIVESTRONG website and reminded myself of why I am doing this. The stories I read there are always inspirational but most of all humbling. I would not think of myself as much of a person if I couldn’t withstand nothing more than pain to try and help in some small way. People, Lance included, have said that having cancer is the best thing that has ever happened to them. My Dad’s cancer was the worst thing that ever happened to me and yet the way he dealt with it has changed me so profoundly and given me so much determination. LIVESTRONG is a way for us all to share in these moments of strength and inspiration and I could not be more grateful for that chance. 600 miles? 1 Leg? Well, like the man said, – “pain is temporary…”

-Dan Robinson (via Livestrong on Linkedin)


"Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds."



Orison Swett Marden

No comments:

Post a Comment