Friday, December 3, 2010

Hiking on Long Island - did you know?

I did run once upon a time and still try but really do not love it and it does not love me, so I picked up more biking until the day I fell and was brought by ambulance for an enormous amount of stitches where the pedal entered my calf........so hiking it is!

I had hiked once or twice (totally turned around and lost once) but I am game for any activity with my feet on the ground. So my friend and I investigated the Greenbelt trail from Hauppauge and found it interesting. The next week we investigated Caleb Smith Park - and found a jewel right here in Smithtown.  On our third adventure we followed the Greenbelt Trail from Smithtown Landing toward Sunken Meadow - up to a 3 hour hike....with a few wrong turns (that's what happens when you are so engrossed in a conversation you don't look for markings).... on our fourth we returned to the Smithtown Landing/Greenbelt area and made it all the way to Sunken Meadow and back in 4 hours no wrong turns. Beautiful!

So much fun and all you need is a walking stick or two (preferred) and hiking boots to keep your ankles safe. You will pass a group or two, maybe a couple with a few animals but most of all you are alone in nature the view of the Nissequogue is outstanding and it is quiet! This is a treat so close to us, in many ways.

The Greenbelt trail (http://www.ligreenbelt.org/) has so much to offer we can be busy for the year. There are 200 miles of the Greenbelt Trail with guided hikes of all levels for those who are concerned about getting lost or those who are less adventurous (or smarter) about investigating an activity. 

I will be back on the bike because the century ride is still a goal, but until the nicer biking weather - hiking it is!

Go take a hike - you will enjoy it!

"Take only pictures; leave only footprints."
~ Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment