Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Be a beginner.................

You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.
~ Barbara Sher


As you know some messages have a way of getting in your face, this one did that to me. As you may have read in earlier blogs I am a believer in "baby steps" and setting your self up for success. Yes indeed - that is what I truly believe - but somehow for me, myself- it doesn't always apply.

I did run for a while, ran the NYC marathon then stopped for a lengthy time, picked it up again some 7 years later and ran for quite a few years. In a nutshell, I got sick and had neuropathy and walked with a cane for a while - slowly everything came back (thank you Lord!). Last year my daughter challenged me to participate in a Mother's Day run with her - a first! How can a MOM say no? I huffed and puffed and my heart rate was above max heart rate and it was terrible! and I was slow - UGH! OK, accept the challenge, try again - do the summer series - short runs only - it was ugly!

Got over hot weather - and decided I was not going to let this get me - I started as a beginner...I allowed myself to start slow, no pressure. What a relief to let go of what was and be present in what is. I am now feeling much better about myself and about my ability to run a 5K. Slowly I will increase speed and/or miles. But it feels so good.

That is why this quote struck me, I would be the first one to break down goals for you into achievable successes - and so happy I was able to do the same for myself. Be as kind to yourself as you would be to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment