Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Powerful Acceptance Speech from our Recognition Honoree "EMPOWER"




In case you need a refresher click here for the Recap of the Recognition Dinner

And  here is the acceptance speech that brought the house to tears and laughter.  Bravo my friend, Annette.






I would like to thank the academy, my producers, the production company....
OOPS! Wrong venue!
         
Happy Birthday to you (sung/whispered ala Marilyn Monroe)
Oh, sorry, Chemo Brain!

CANCER

Fear, anxiety, depression, confusion, darkness, isolation, panic, constant daily pain....

Then HOPE.

Cancer is not all that bad you see...
It forces us to evaluate what is important in our lives, what we hold dear to us, and makes us realize not to waste precious time on bull shit.

It clearly reminds us that each moment of life is a treasured gift and should not be squandered on negative thoughts or actions.

You become acutely aware of and admire the beauty of a sunset.

You appreciate your loved ones on a deeper level.

You marvel at the majesty of a blooming flower.

You make time for what is important, especially yourself.

You firmly believe in hope and karma.

I would like to take a moment to honor and thank Evelyn Knapp. I feel that it is divine intervention that we are all gathered here today.* Clearly Evelyn was a very special person who touched the lives of many, and continues to touch even more. Her passion and spirit enabled the amazing Strength for Life organization to be born. Jacqui & Debbie have kept her memory and mission alive through selflessly giving strength, hope and empowerment to scores of cancer patients.

I want to thank Strength for Life not only for honoring me today, but for the consistent, uplifting support they give. Whether it is free exercise, nutritional guidance, wellness retreats or simply friendship, they are an endless support for their participants.

I am often asked how I have stayed so strong and positive during my 4 year battle with 2 primary cancers.

Enduring:    5 serious infections
                   4 organ surgeries
                   3 courses of chemo
                   2 times completely bald
                   And a partridge in a pear tree

It was largely due to being born in Brooklyn and I don't consider myself a survivor, I am a warrior! I consider my scars badges of honor and I have used my keen sense of humor. But more so, due to my super supportive friends both old and new, and my fabulous family.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you.

To my parents, who provided a safe and comfortable environment and have helped me through so many days when I could not get out of bed over the past four years.

To my daughter Amanda, who makes her mama proud on a consistent basis. She is always kind, generous and cheerful. She also sat tirelessly at my side during my early
treatments, at uncountable hospital stays, all while needing to be other places, in order to graduate honors college. She has been one of my biggest joys since she was born.

To my new friends, Priscilla, Christie, Becky & Laura, who met a broken woman, post treatments. They have seen me struggle, dealt with my new found lack of patience and accepted and loved me, realizing that I am more than this beast that I wrestle with every few months. They have offered their time, their strength, their smile, very often when mine is waning.

To my old friends, Jae, Ruth, Brittany, who have hung in there, and kept my spirits high when I would otherwise be disheartened. They watched my struggle and been steadfast friends.

To my Best Friend, Claire who works an average of 10-12 hours a day, and often weekends, but all I had to do was mention a surgery, or need the ER and in a heartbeat, she would drop everything and be at my side for endless hours, many times throughout the night, with me begging her to go home. She gave me the gift of peace of mind every time I went into surgery or was admitted to the hospital.

To my oncology nurse Kim. A blessing from day one, she has been my sounding board, my 'xanax', my sanity. She very unselfishly has given me her knowledge, her caring heart, every time and anytime I needed it during the roller coaster treatments I have been through. I know for a fact that, I would not be standing here today without her unwavering strength and compassion. She is truly an angel on earth.

Finally, if you know me at all, you know that music is an important part of my life and joy. So when I could not bring myself to face anyone, even myself, I would turn on my Ipod and listen...

There was an array of music, from a plethora of artists, but most effective for me was Lady Gaga. Particularly "Marry the Night" an anthem about never giving in or giving up.
         
"I'm gonna marry the night
I won't give up on my life
I'm a Warrior Queen
Live passionately tonight"

This warrior queen would like to wish you all health, happiness and blessings as I have had in my life

          ~Annette Gerani







*The Recognition Dinner was held on the anniversary of Evelyn’s passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment